Monday, August 2, 2010

Pimsleur's Japanese I - Lesson 3 Notes

New Vocabulary:
  • demo - but
  • mada - yet
  • yoku - well (in knowledge and skill, not health)
  • iyana - bad (weather)
  • domo - indeed / very much
  • konnichi wa - good afternoon
  • nihon - Japan

New Grammar Concepts:
  • none

New Sentences:
  • Demo mada jozu ja arimasen. - But I'm not good at it yet.
  • Yoku wakarimasu. - I understand well.
  • Yoku wakarimasen. - I don't understand well.
  • Iyana otenki desu ne. - It's bad weather, isn't it?
  • Domo arigato gozaimasu. - Thank you very much. (polite)
  • Konnichi wa. - Good afternoon.
  • Watashi wa nihon-jin desu. - I am Japanese.
  • Watashi wa nihon-jin ja arimasen. - I am not Japanese.
  • Watashi wa amerika-jin ja arimasen. - I am not American.
  • Anata wa? - And you?
  • Anata wa nihon-jin desu ka. - Are you Japanese?
  • Anata wa amerika-jin desu ka. - Are you American?
  • Nihongo ga yoku wakarimasen. - I don't understand Japanese well.
  • Nihongo ga yoku wakarimasu. - I understand Japanese well.
  • Eigo ga yoku wakarimasen. - I don't understand English well.
  • Eigo ga yoku wakarimasu. - I understand English well.

Japanese Conversation:

Man: Ohayo gozaimasu.
Woman: Ohayo gozaimasu.
Man: Ii otenki desu ne.
Woman: Ah, nihongo ga wakarimasu ne.
Man: Hai, sukoshi. Demo mada jozu ja arimasen.
Woman: Anata wa amerika-jin desu ka.
Man: Hai.
Woman: Demo nihongo ga yoku wakarimasu ne.

Does anybody want to take a shot at translating the Japanese conversation above into English?

7 comments:

  1. M:
    Good Morning
    W:
    Good Morning.
    M:
    ?
    W:
    Oh, you know Japanese don't you.
    M:
    Yeah, A little. But I'm not too good at it.
    W:
    Are you American?
    M:
    Yes.
    W:
    But you know Japanese don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man: Good morning.
    Woman: Good morning.
    Man: It's nice weather, isn't it?
    Woman: Oh, you understand Japanese, don't you?
    Man: Yes, a little. But I'm not good at it yet.
    Woman: Are you American?
    Man: Yes.
    Woman: But you understand Japanese well, don't you?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bad (weather) - yana should be "iyana" I think

    ReplyDelete
  4. This program is extremely helpful, i think i will master Japanese quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am listening for the 30 minuts lesson from Pimsleur with this it gives me more confidence to understand better because the male voice and woman voice gives slight variation on some words

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...