Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pimsleur Japanese Level 1 - Lesson 6 Notes

New Vocabulary:

  • hanashimasu - speak
  • hanashimasen - don't speak
  • watashi no - my
  • tokoro - place
  • doko de - where at?
  • itsu - when?
  • ima - now
  • ato de - later

New Sentences:

  • Watashi wa hanashimasen. - I don't speak.
  • Doko de. - Where at?
  • Watashi no tokoro de. - At my place.
  • Anata no tokoro de. - At your place.
  • Watashi mo. - Me, too.
  • Itsu tabemasu ka. - When are you going to eat?
  • Eh, demo ato de. - Yes, but later.
  • Iie, demo nanika nomimasu. - No, but I'm going to drink something.
  • Doko de tabemasu ka. - Where are you going to eat?
  • Itsu nomimasu ka. - When are you going to drink?
  • Ato de tabemasu. - I'm going to eat later.
  • Eh / Hai, watashi no tokoro de. - Yes, at my place.
  • Eh / Hai, anata no tokoro de. - Yes, at your place.
  • Watashi no tokoro de nanika nomimasen ka. - Won't you drink something at my place?
  • Eh / Hai, arigatou gozaimasu. - Yes, thank you.
  • Ii desu. - Fine. / All right.
  • Ii desu ne. - It's fine, isn't it? / It's all right, isn't it?
  • Shinjuku de. - At Shinjuku.
  • Eh, ii desu ne. - Yes, it's all right, isn't it?
  • Eh, ato de. - Yes, later.
  • Ii desu ka. - Is it all right?
  • Watashi mo hanashimasen. - I also don't speak.
  • Ima tabemasen. - I'm not going to eat now.
  • Sumimasen, ato de tabemasu. - I'm sorry, I'm going to eat later.

Japanese Conversation:

Man: Konnichi wa.
Woman: Konnichi wa. Ii o-tenki desu ne.
Man: Sou desu ne.
Woman: Nanika tabemasen ka.
Man: Ii, kekkou desu. Demo nanika nomimasu.
Woman: Nani o nomimasu ka.
Man: Koura o nomimasu.
Woman: Watashi mo. Watashi mo koura o nomimasu.

English Translation:

Man: Good afternoon. / Hello.
Woman: Hello. It's good weather, isn't it?
Man: Yes, it is.
Woman: Won't you eat something?
Man: No, thank you. But I'll drink something.
Woman: What will you drink?
Man: I'll drink Coca Cola.
Woman: Me, too. I'll drink Coca Cola, too.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for this! I'm doing Pimsleur right now, and I never understood the sentences about drinks. The "nanika" threw me off. :/

    Anyway, thank you SO, SO much!
    You win 24 internet dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ''nanika'' threw me off often me too!!
      it still does, sometimes...
      I don't know why, thought... maybe because it looks like ''nani'' and ''ka'' and your brain think it means ''what?'' and not ''something''

      Delete
  2. I'd suggest that you write "nani ka" in two words, as that's basically what they are, as far as I understand.

    何か 【なにか】

    I think it's the kanji for "what" and the particle "ka" for questions.

    ReplyDelete